Monday, September 17, 2007

Cross Race #1 in the books.

Sunday marked the infamous first cross race of the year. I was really dreading this effort, and expecting a pretty bad race, but things ended up going much better than I'd anticipated. The race was at the Breckinridge Nordic Center, so I expected the altitude to play a pretty big role, but I didn't feel it that much during the race.

Things started well with me taking 3rd wheel through the first corner. By the time people were done taking stupid risks and plowing into the barricades as well as each other, I had drifted to 8th or so. I picked off a couple guys, got passed by one, and picked up another place or two due to mechanicals in front of me. I ended 6th, which isn't winning, but I feel like it's a solid start to the season. Last year in the first race I SUCKED and was lapped with like 3 laps to go. Felt good to be lapping people this year.

The course had a couple cool parts, one really short steep run up, a single barrier followed directly by a large hump that you went up and over with a little left turn. I was able to bunny hop the barrier and hold a ton of speed over the top and down the back side, almost too much speed. I passed a guy who had dismounted, and passed him on the outside over the hump, I almost didn't make the corner and came close to testing out the large pad that was strapped to a tree trunk on the side of the course. It was sweet to hear the little crowd standing around the barrier react. There was also an uphill double barrier that I sucked on pretty bad. I think I had 3 bad remounts on it in 11 laps. I definitely know what I need to work on.

If passing the dude as I hopped the barrier and bumped shoulders with him was the "highlight" of my race, then kicking the second barrier in the double set and landing face first in front of a crowd of people was definitely the "lowlight."

Overall I'm happy, not content, but happy. There is still room to improve, but some specific training and the next two months of racing will hopefully fill in those holes. Now it's time to get to work. Thanks for checking in.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ya Corey, I'm pretty dissapointed you don't have a link to my blog or the Rio blog. thekrughblog.com or teamriogrande.wordpress.com, come on!

Unknown said...

Hey I am taking a couple weeks off, easy on the recipe bashin - damn! I'm in CA right now on a 5 day mini-vacation. I'll be back in time to chase you around on them cyclocross bikes, dont you worry...