Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Now this is an offseason.

For those of you who don't know, I'm back in SoDak. I took a little premature exit from school this semester, but who wants to talk about that, I know I certainly don't. It's true winter around the world now by the looks of things, I hear it's even storming in Antarctica! This afternoon was actually gorgous, the temps barely got out of the single digits, but Mattie and I loaded into the truck and headed out to find a few pheasants.
We saw plenty, but most of them were in farmyards, or near livestock, trying to stay somewhat protected from the elements, and hunters I'm sure. Some of the places we hunted had tons of signs that birds were in the area, like this marking here in the snow where I rooster had landed under a tree.
I managed to get a shot at one bird, but he ran before he got up, and then was on the other side of a plum thicket as was a good 40-50 yards out by the time I had a shot. I took a poke at him anyway, just to feel like I was actually hunting, but the distance couple with me being a poor shot resulted in him flying away, and Mattie getting really excited for a while.
The snow was deep enough that gaitors and snowshoes were saviors. It make trudging through the knee deep stuff almost fun.
At the end of the day, we were still empty handed, but I think I can speak for both of us in saying we enjoyed the day. I sure is a departure from riding the bike, but I enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i didn't know you were a hunter corey! sweet...
bean

Corey Carlson said...

I've been hunting since I was 12, although not too much the last few years being away at school and all.